From:
[log in to unmask] (Marcel Claessen)
Date:
Sat May 12 08:51:45 2007

I would like us to receive a pointer to  Yuri Tulupenko's indication for
the Condorcet quote "Today Reason burns the innumerable volumes which
attest the vanity of a caste. Other vestiges remain in public and private
libraries. They must be involved in a common destruction".  I cannot
believe that Condorcet meant the deliberate  PHYSICAL destruction of
papers relating to the history of the noble families of  France. Might he
not have meant the end of the ancient regime's governmental authority
based on the genealogical papers of the aristocrats, "destructed" by the
revolutionary rule of popular/democratic consent?

Marcel Claessen