From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Gani)
Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:47 2006

   HET as Living Legacy

   Is it possible to pursue HET as a living legacy in this forum in contrast to
   supposing that HET is collection of relics as a history of past errors?

   To study HET as a living legacy is to take a set of inherited ideas that we
   are using today.  It may be contrasted with the notion of HET as a dead
   relic accumulated in an archive or museum, where we pay occasional visits to
   satisfy the curiosity of how people in past ages thought unlike we who think
   differently (and hopefully more intelligently).

   The Living Legacy Approach seems to have been adopted by people who have
   made major contributions to new thinking while the Dead Relic Approach has
   been popular with those who have not themselves added to new thinking in
   significant ways.  The relic examiners may have developed a rich literature
   on  the details of the genesis and evolution of ideas. But those would
   usually provide no guidance to people who need help with solving problems of
   today by finding new ways of thinking about old and new problems.

   I  happen to pursue the Living Legacy Approach and therefore I tend to
   evaluate  ideas less for their historical roots than for their current
   relevance. I am afraid that those who pursue the Dead Relic Approach may
   find my messages somewhat less historical than they would like them to be. I
   am afraid that some may even think that I am trying to reconstruct economics
   in a forum uninterested in such a pursuit.

   But should we not look at the ideas we adopt today and see if these have
   flaws that require repairs?

   Mohammad Gani