AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Sharon Larade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larade, Sharon
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 16:15:37 -0400
(with apologies for cross postings)

Dear Friends,

I am writing to you regarding a significant change in the location and
management of the United Church Archives (Toronto).

The Church supports a network of archives across the Conferences. In
Ontario, the United Church Archives (Toronto) manages records of the
General Council, the antecedent denominations, and the records of Bay of
Quinte, London, Hamilton, Manitou and Toronto Conferences, and their
respective presbyteries and pastoral charges.

General Council Executive agreed at its meeting 4-7 May, 2007 to
dissolve the agreement with Victoria University (Toronto) concerning the
joint management of their archives effective 30 April 2008. Victoria
University's archives will remain on campus as the responsibility of the
University's Library; questions about Victoria University’s archives may
be directed to Robert Brandeis, Chief Librarian at (416) 585-4472. The
United Church of Canada’s archives held in Toronto will be moving to a
new location, as yet undetermined.

In view of these changes, I would like to assure you that the Church’s
valuable documentary heritage will continue to be preserved according to
professional standards, and be handled with the appropriate resources.
The Church is committed to opening a new United Church Archives in the
near future to facilitate research from all sectors. Archives
development and planning is well underway as the General Council Office
and the Bay of Quinte, London, Hamilton, Manitou and Toronto Conferences
together explore a wide range of options for their future collective
archival needs. This work will build on the strong legacy of collections
development and archival description at the United Church Archives
(Toronto).

It is also important for you to know that throughout the United Church
Archives transition, our Church is committed to providing continued
access to all archival records related to residential schools, and to
full cooperation with all aspects of the Indian Residential Schools
Settlement Agreement. This includes open access for the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission and its activities. The United Church is
committed to facing the ugly realities of the residential school system
and to actively living out its apologies.

The Archives Reading Room will be open for research until Friday 21
December 2007 during our regular hours Tues to Fri 10 am to 1 pm, 2 pm –
4:45 pm; and closed on Mondays. In order to prepare for a move away from
campus, the United Church Archives (Toronto) will be closed temporarily
(with the exception of the residential schools records) while archival
collections are prepared for the transition.

The Conference Archives outside of Ontario are not affected by this
transition at the United Church Archives (Toronto); for updated
information about their programs, see
http://www.united-church.ca/archives/home.shtm

On behalf of the Church, I assure you of our commitment to the process
of transition which has begun and to the careful stewardship of this
unique archival collection. I encourage you to direct your questions and
concerns about the transition directly to me at
[log in to unmask] Additional information about our services and
new acquisitions will be posted to our website at
www.unitedchurcharchives.ca. Reference inquiries can be directed to

Sincerely,

Sharon P. Larade
General Council Archivist
(416) 585-4563

Frequently Asked Questions about the United Church Archives (Toronto)

The United Church of Canada Archives held in Toronto will be moving to a
new location, as yet undetermined. The Archives Reading Room will be
open for research until Friday 21 December 2007 during our regular
hours: Tuesday to Friday 10 am to 1 pm, 2 pm – 4:45 pm; and closed on
Mondays. In order to prepare for a move away from Victoria University
campus, the United Church Archives (Toronto) will be closed temporarily
after Friday 21 December 2007 while archival collections are prepared
for the transition.

1. 	Can I still send my church records to the Archives? Your Conference
Executive Secretary will advise you on their preferred action.

2. 	Would it be better not to send them? Records of closed congregations
are particularly important at this stage. The earlier you can transfer
them to the Archives in 2007, the better. If you know of records at risk
of being lost or destroyed, send them to the Archives immediately.

3. 	What’s the deadline for sending church records this year?  December 2007

4. 	What should I do with the church records while the United Church
Archives is in transition?  Archives & Recordkeeping (2005) is the best
resource for information on your pastoral charge’s records. You can
continue to identify records of archival value, and prepare them with
box lists and transfer forms while awaiting more news from the Archives.
http://www.united-church.ca/archives/resources/

5. 	What access will congregations have to their records? Access will be
limited to urgent legal inquiries throughout the transition. Inquiries
can be sent to [log in to unmask]

6. 	What about requests for certificates? Baptismal, marriage and
burials certificates inquiries can be sent to
[log in to unmask] throughout the transition.

7. 	What about my research project? You should plan to visit the
Archives in person before 21 Dec 2007 to search in any relevant records.

8. 	What about Residential Schools records? All records related to
residential schools will be fully accessible throughout this transition.
Our Church is committed to full cooperation with all aspects of the
Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement, including open access
for the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and its activities.