From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Fri Jun 29 15:11:18 2007
E. Roy Weintraub wrote:
> The session played to a full house, and was well-received. This leads
> to an observation/suggestion. Given the fact that HET-ers
> want to be heard and positively regarded by the mainstream economics
> profession,
> one way to do this is to meet on "their" turf as it were. The annual
> HES sponsored sessions at the ASSA are one established venue. We
> intend to follow up in the future with the Econometric Society. But
> there are lots of such venues. Meetings of health economists, meetings
> of regional associations, meetings of agricultural economists,
> financial economists etc. This requires only individual initiative
> in forming sessions and submitting those sessions to the
> organizing/program committees.

I would recommend that the HES look at the Southerns as one place to
consider doing just this.  For the last 11 years, the Society for the
Development of Austrian Economics has held sessions at the SEA meetings,
often as many as 11 per meeting.  A good number of these sessions
involve work in the history of economic thought, though they are not
always labeled as such. Many members of the SDAE are practicing
historians of thought as well.  In the past, I believe I have forwarded
the SDAE call for proposals to the HES list.  I will continue to make
sure I do so and will encourage members of the HES to submit a session
either to the SDAE or the SEA more generally.

The SDAE has been very broad in the sorts of topics its sessions address
and the SEA meetings have historically been more open to historical work
than other regional associations in the discipline.  Personally, I'd
love to see more HES members involved with the SDAE sessions at the
Southerns.

I haven't seen the current roster for November's sessions but it's still
possible we have room for more papers or discussants, so do let me know
if you're interested in participating as an individual even if there's
not an HES-proposed session for this year's meetings.

Steve Horwitz