From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
Wed Jul 25 09:28:23 2007
HESers,

I came across this optical illusion on a blog yesterday (hat tip to
Radley Balko).  The blogger just thought it was a cool illusion, which
it is, but as I watched it and listened to the explanation from the
narrator, it became clear that it is actually evidence for the main
argument of The Sensory Order, namely that the mind "pre-classifies"
sensory data based on experiential learning.  That is, the mind makes
sense of the world based on past experience, even when, in the case of
this illusion, we can know that the actual sensory data of the world are
different from what the mind makes us see.  The narrator's reference to
"top down knowledge" makes it clear that it is an analog to Hayek's use
of "model" in TSO.

Enjoy.

http://tinyurl.com/2cfgev

Steven Horwitz