From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Thu Aug 9 09:29:18 2007
Dear Mr. Ahiakpor and others,

You have me there!  I meant of course 60 thousand BC, which is the
approximate figure that people who favor the hypothesis conjure with
(anywhere from 70 to 40 thousand years ago, as far as an outsider to
that scholarly literature can make out).

I like Robert Wright's suggestion about non-hard-wiredness.  Otherwise
we will find trade among bacteria, literally, which doesn't seem a very
useful way to talk---unless indeed to emphasize the truth that we are
all interdependent.

And I like John Walker's point about quantification.  That's what Alan
Page Fiske (Structures of Socal Life, 1991) emphasizes in naming "market
pricing" as one of his four "elementary forms of human relations."  The
other three---communal sharing [do you belong to Our Crowd, yes or no?],
authority ranking [I am the chief, so I get more meat], equality
matching [we're all in this together, so let's make the amounts of meat
exactly the same for everyone]---do not involve prices, that is,
exchange rates between two different things, meat for milk, arrow points
for cave paintings.

Sincerely,

Deirdre McCloskey