From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Mon Aug 13 10:11:28 2007
Dear Professor Gunning:

Perhaps you are thinking of "virtues" as sabbath preaching rather than
habits of the heart we exercise moment-to-moment.  That non-preaching
definition is the one used now in ethical philosophy, and was routine
from Plato through Adam Smith.  Religion is not the same thing,
therefore, as virtues.  I admire Lal's work and agree with him on many
things.  But I'm a tiny bit suspicious of linking the actions of one man
to the Rise of the West.  Still, it's an intriguing idea (though it
faces the problem, then, of explaining why supposedly non-individualistic
societies like India and China have found it so easy recently to adopt
capitalist ways.

But we are drifting away a little from our trade-and-humans
theme---though I'm very willing to converse on the virtues and
capitalism with anyone who's interested!

Regards,

Deirdre McCloskey