From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Gani)
Date:
Tue May 1 15:04:40 2007

   At   the   HET   page  of  the  New  School,  Goncalo  Fonseca  wrote:
   (http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/profiles/frisch.htm)

   "The Norwegian economist Ragnar Anton Kittil Frisch was the lord of economic
   nomenclature. He coined many of the words and phrases we are now familiar
   with in economics, such as "macroeconomics", "econometrics" and "flow-input,
   point-output", "impulse and propagation", etc.  Some of his novel words did
   not really catch on (e.g. "passus coefficient", "polypoly", the "pari-passu
   law", etc.), but that hardly deterred him. At any rate, Frisch was in an
   excellent position to be master wordsmith:  he also helped create the very
   fields he littered with his nomenclature."

   Does it sound intriguing, I mean, the idea of littering with nomenclature? I
   tend to think that macroeconomics has no reason to have such a hopeless
   name: being macro does not give any distinction from being micro from an
   anlaytical point of view.  The prefix creates a pretension that somehow
   aggregates have a separate kind of character worthy of separate treatment.
   See  for example how micro takes over macro and robs it of any special
   character at the link below:

   [1]http://ideas.repec.org/p/wpa/wuwpma/0404012.html

   Mohammad Gani