From:
[log in to unmask] (Peart, Sandra)
Date:
Thu Aug 30 08:27:43 2007
Dear Colleagues,

I hope your semesters are beginning well.  I thought you might be interested in these notes about the 2007 HES conference.

We had, in all, 188 participants, including 45 non members (who are now new members!) About 110 of those were from the US.  Others came from Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Chile, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Portugal, and Spain.  We held 50 sessions at the conference, including  4 plenary sessions (by Bradley Bateman, James Buchanan, Tiago Mata and David Warsh).  The addresses by Bateman and Buchanan are scheduled to appear in the first Cambridge-published issue of JHET, March 2008.

The Society supported 9 young scholars at the conference with free registration and banquet tickets.  4 of those young scholars received additional support, 5 nights of housing without charge.  The young scholars came from the US (New School, University of Texas, St. Louis University); France (Paris 1 and X); Netherlands (Amsterdam School of Economics); UK (City University of London); Germany (University of Hohenheim).

The following publishers were present at the conference:  Cambridge University Press; Duke University Press, Edward Elgar, Harvard University Press, Liberty Fund, Inc., Scholar's Choice, and Taylor and Francis.

The conference was supported by:  Cambridge University Press, George Mason University (Provost Peter Stearns, Dean Jack Censer, Department of Economics), Mercatus Center at GMU.  Staff and students at the Center for Study of Public Choice were a terrific help as well.  On behalf of the Society, I'd like to reiterate my thanks to all who helped me throughout the year, and during the conference itself.

If you haven't, please mark your calendars for next year's conference organized by HES President-Elect, Avi Cohen at York University, June 27-30th.  See you there.

Sandra Peart