From:
[log in to unmask] (Barkley Eosser)
Date:
Sun Sep 23 15:54:22 2007
To Michael Nuwer,
     I do not think the econophysics movement looks much like the usual
"economic imperialism,"
which traditionally involved going into sociology or political science or
wherever and, a la, Gary
Becker, imposing the homogeneous rational agent model on their topics.  This
may be a bit more
like Kahnemann and Tversky, coming writing papers on econ topics while
formally staying in psychology.
One difference is that while a small amount of this econophysics stuff is
being published in economics
journals, the vast majority of it continues to be appearing in physics
journals not even indexed in the
JEL, and thus basically outside the consciousness of all but a few
economists.  Some of this also
reflectst the much longer lag times involved in getting a paper refereed and
published in economics
journals compared to physics (and other hard science) journals, where the
social norms are much
more socially responsible than they have been in economics.  Lots of
physicists say "I don't want to
waste my time with your journals and their long lags."
      Most of the papers that have appeared in economics journals have
involved an economist (or
two) as a coauthor, and as more of this coauthoring and collaboration
occurs, we may see more of
this work showing up in the economics journals.

Barkley Rosser