AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Sharon Larade <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:00:44 -0500
Please see Victoria University's statement on the relocation of the
United Church archives, on the Victoria University website at
http://www.vicu.utoronto.ca/news/archives.htm

STATEMENT ON THE RELOCATION OF THE ARCHIVES OF THE UNITED CHURCH OF CANADA

The archives of the United Church are moving to the national office of
the Church at 3250 Bloor Street West, and the archives of Victoria
University are remaining at Victoria. Both parties have enjoyed a long
association in the joint management of their respective archives; both
recognize that changing circumstances make the continuation of this
arrangement problematic. They have agreed mutually and cordially to end
the joint venture. They have done this with a measure of regret and with
respect for the past, but also with responsibility and optimism for the
future.

At the end of a long process, the United Church acted on a mutually
agreed analysis and an independent recommendation from its archives and
history committee that the arrangement with Victoria University be
terminated, and Victoria concurred with this recommendation.

Victoria University respects the decision of the United Church to
relocate its archives, and does not share the expressed concern that the
archives will not be managed professionally. The new location will be
convenient and accessible. As it announced on 25 October 2007, the
United Church is now planning the implementation of its decision (see
http://www.united-church.ca/en/communications/news/releases/071025).

It is now time to focus on the future. Regret may be an appropriate
emotion for some members of our communities to experience as the
archives of the United Church begin their move to their home at 3250
Bloor Street West in January 2008. We call upon our communities to
honour our long relationship with the confidence that the archives will
be well cared for by the Church to which they belong.

Paul W. Gooch
President