AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
ANNE HEPPLEWHITE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ANNE HEPPLEWHITE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:02:14 -0500
Dear Members,

This is an update to the communication I sent out on February 2nd
regarding the AAO office and administrative services.

At the Annual General Meeting in June, 2007, the Treasurer reported a
deficit of $30 000.  The incoming Board was faced with coming up with a
financial strategy to ensure future stability.  During the summer months
of 2007, the deficit was complicated by the delay in funding being
issued for our program grants under the NADP.   Unfortunately, this
combination of events has required some sacrifices including delaying
transfer payments to the Chapters.   Throughout this difficult process
the AAO leadership team is working hard to ensure a strong viable
association with a solid administrative portfolio.  The Board is
grateful for your assistance in this process.

An extensive administrative review was conducted during the late summer
and early fall.  This review was conducted in collaboration between the
Board and the Executive Director.   After investigating all of our
available options, the Board unanimously agreed that the elimination of
the Executive Director position was the only way to attain the savings
necessary to achieve sustainability.   Our attempts to reduce costs
through reduction of travel and minimizing the office rent were not
going to add up to enough savings and ensure operational effectiveness.

As communicated to you on February 2nd, 2008, the AAO is going through
a period of transition with regard to its Secretariat services.  The
Board that has taken on the responsibilities of the office on top of
their full-time positions across the Province and we appreciate our
members’ support and patience during this time.

As of April 1, 2008, our Secretariat services will be assumed by Becker
Associates, an association management firm.  This action will result in
a net savings of approximately $30 000, annually.    I, along with the
Board, am confident that this is the first step in restoring financial
stability to the AAO.  I am optimistic that next year’s Board will be
able to focus on improving the programs and activities of the AAO.

I would like to thank Miriam McTiernan, Archivist of Ontario, and
Christina Nichols, Executive Director of the CCA, specifically for their
support and encouragement during the administrative review.  As a result
of their support, the Board has been able to move forward decisively and
with confidence.

We apologize for any confusion or frustrations felt over the last few
weeks as the Board has been working through this transition period.
Your volunteer leadership team is aware of the issues and is committed
to nurture the evolution of worthy mandates serving the Ontario archival
community.

If you have any questions regarding the status of the AAO and its
secretariat services, please do not hesitate to contact a Board member
as we are more than happy to discuss things further with you.

Yours truly,

Anne Hepplewhite
President, AAO

Vice-President
Marc Lerman
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Secretary
Deirdre Bryden
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Treasurer
Michael Fish
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Institutional Development
Ellen Scheinberg
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Director Without Portfolio
Betty Jo Belton
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Director Without Portfolio
Liz Mayville
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Anne Hepplewhite
Records Project Manager
Niagara Regional Police Service
Executive Services
110 James St. St. Catharines
L2R 7E8
905-688-4111 Ext. 5014

E-mail [log in to unmask]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This transmission contains confidential information
belonging to the sender which is legally privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above.  If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, copy, distribution, or the taking of
any action in reliance on or regarding the contents
of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
The opinions expressed in this message are those
of the author and may not necessarily represent
those of the Niagara Regional Police Service.

Niagara Regional Police Service
68 Church Street.  St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 3C6
Canada
Telephone (905) 688-4111
Web: http://www.nrps.com