From:
[log in to unmask] (Deirdre McCloskey)
Date:
Mon Nov 26 09:46:24 2007
Dear Pat,

You're right about the two types of economists, and about Schumpeter's
tangled feelings towards the two.  I'd call the one
neoclassical/old-Marxist and the other Austrian/pomo-marxist.  Put that
way it seems that the difference is the weight each gives to new ideas
in explaining the modern world, namely, zero and 80%.  I would quarrel
only with your kindly treatment of new growth theory, whose conception
of human capital has no space for ideas: it's just one high-school
graduate piled on top of another!

Once the ideas are there we will all accede to accumulationist notions
of how they spread.  After all, the high-pressure steam engine needed to
be invented only once.  What is hard to formulate---and what Schumpeter
was groping for, I think---is an account of the First Industrial
Revolution that is not mechanical.  A mechanized view---that, say, the
original accumulation of capital did the trick---runs up against the
objection that original accumulations were available in ancient Egypt or
in medieval France or in Ming China, and none resulted in an explosion
of the production possibility curve.  So to make sense of 1700-1900 in
Europe and its offshoots a really new, Kirznerian alertness, Hayekian
discovery, true creativity (thus pomo marxists) seems to be required,
eh?  And those seem to entail a free society.

Like most economists, Schumpeter loved the "precise" machinery (look at
his advocacy of econometrics: would he approve of the monster he helped
create?).  But his Romantic attachment to innovation and new ideas as an
explanation for the success of capitalism led him in another direction,
didn't it?

Regards,

Deirdre McCloskey