From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Wed Sep 19 14:45:07 2007
Thank you, John Womack.  However, Jan van Daal writes that Routledge has
only published Etudes d'Economie Politique Applique thus far, and we may
expect Etudes d'Economie Sociale very soon. I am grateful to have lived long
enough to see this light at the end of the tunnel.

It is remarkable, at least to me, that this latter work has been neglected,
considering that its thesis parallels that of two very popular contemporary
works in English: *Land Nationalization* by Alfred Russel Wallace, and
*Progress and Poverty* by Henry George (whom Walras footnotes as
"Henri-Georges"). I think perhaps Walras aimed pessimally: too intellectual
for a mass market, and too popular for academics. Yet, his prose is filled
with passion. He also could and did claim to be the heir of Turgot, Quesnay,
et al. (Could it be that too much HES quashes sales? Forbid it Almighty
God!)

Mason Gaffney