From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Médaille)
Date:
Sun Sep 23 12:40:57 2007
Barkley Rosser wrote:
>Greg,
>      The current situation is more extreme than what went on in the past.
>In the past one would get people who were trained in math, or physics, or
>engineering, who would then switch over to economics and import their
>methods from their previous background.  But they would actually switch
>over formally to economics.

Although I am not familiar with this literature,
I can hazard a guess that econophysics might not
be so bad and might actually be useful. Physics
itself seems to be getting more metaphysical, and
the behavior of any individual particle, like the
behavior of any individual economic actor, is not
actually knowable. Still, the development of
systems of particles can be measured and known.

I am reminded of the story about Werner
Heisenberg, he of the uncertainty principle, who
on graduating with a degree in the Classics, was
deciding on whether to do graduate work in either
physics or economics. He decided on physics
because, he said, "I thought economics would be too hard."

John C. M?daille