From:
[log in to unmask] (John C. Médaille)
Date:
At 11:10 PM 3/6/2008, Medema, Steven wrote:
>[Posted on behalf of Warren Samuels.]
>What is in effect common to both of
>them is the need for a strategically placed "class" who needs, or says
>they need, a larger slice of the pie, through, e.g., a tax cut for some
>and not for others.  In this country this class has been the owners and
>controllers of firms (after Berle and Means)--"private" capitalists; in
>the former Soviet Union, the class was comprised of state capitalists.
>The irony of part of this, and of the rhetoric of elections here, is
>that our history, e.g., in Massachusetts Bay Colony, commenced in a
>conflict between religious fundamentalists and traders, and that since
>then, with variations in the "family values" and the domains of the
>powerful, the conflict has continued.

We can take this even further back in history,
because I cannot help reflecting that this is
exactly what Aristotle says. For Aristotle, any
divisions of rewards from a common fund, such as
the body politic or a firm, will be based on the
contributions of each member to the firm or the
fund and to the "merit" associated with each
contribution. However, "merit" is determined not
"economically" but culturally, ?for democrats
identify it with the status of freeman,
supporters of oligarchy with wealth (or with
noble birth), and supporters of aristocracy with
excellence.? Since it is cultural, these
evaluations are subject to change; the labor of
CEOs, for example, is valued today at a much
different level than what it was even a generation or two ago.

Aristotle discusses this under the rubric of
distributive justice, a topic which more or less
disappears from marginalist economics, since such
economics conceives of everything is terms of a
series of exchanges (with man and nature
commodified as labor and real estate), and thus
falling under the rubric of commutative or
correcti ve justice; there is no room left for
cultural questions or questions of distributive
justice. However, there are legitimate grounds
for calling that description into question. This
question, it seems to me, must be answered prior
to accepting Pat Gunning's description of the market.

And by the way, I don't think Aristotle gets all
the credit he deserves as an economist, and many
of the categories he developed have been rejected
outright, such as the distinction between natural
and unnatural exchange. However, what strikes me
is that this distinction fits the sub-prime
crises to a T, and even provides some tools by
which to understand and analyze it. Most students
of economics believe it is a science that dates
back to the 18th century, and history books have,
at most, a chapter or two on any prior period. In
doing so, we may have stunted our understanding to the subject.

John C. M?daille