From:
[log in to unmask] (Bruce Caldwell BJCALDWE)
Date:
Mon May 26 15:20:19 2008

   At the upcoming HES meeting in Toronto there will be an information
   session on the new Center for the History of Political Economy at Duke
   University.  The information session will be part of a larger session,
   "Advancing the History of Economics Inside and Outside of the Classroom,"
   to be held from 11 to 12:15 on Monday.

   The  purpose of the Center is to promote and support both research in
   and the teaching of the history of political economy, broadly defined.
   Though operating on a somewhat reduced scale next year (AY 2008-2009), we
   anticipate that once it is up and running it will include an active visitors
   program for post-docs and more senior fellows, both short and long
   term; a regular seminar series; and programming, possibly in the summer,
   aimed at promoting teaching in the field.

   While I will have more information about the Center at the session, it is
   still very much a work in progress. As such, I would welcome (and indeed
   will solicit) suggestions  from  all  who  are  able  to attend on how to
   create a more effective   center.    For   anyone  who  must  leave  the
   conference before the session is held, if you would like more information or
   have suggestions, please feel free to grab me at any time during the
   conference to talk about it.  I am speaking figuratively here, of course.
   I will be starting at Duke effective July 1. By early fall I hope to have
   a lot more concrete information available about the Center available on
   the Duke web site.

   Bruce Caldwell