From:
[log in to unmask] (Pat Gunning)
Date:
Thu Jun 5 13:36:04 2008
Hi, Mr. Yee:

At one time, I would have given you a good answer. It would be something like: "Don't expect very much because of China's political history." There may still be some truth in this. It seems, however, that the answer is more complicated now. I received the following reply to an inquiry I sent out a few days ago.

"I would
suppose works by Yang Lian Sheng, and Huang Ren YU
should be easy to locate.

If the guy is seriously interested in the topic, you
may want to encourage him to go to Academia Sinica for
a year or two, then go to China for more serious works
because results of archaeological excavation in China
are simply overwhelming."

One economist that you should not disregard is S.C. Tsiang, a student of Hayek in the late 1940s. He started while in China, but ended up spending the rest of his life in Taiwan. I met with him in the 1990s before he died. Of course, this is recent history, not ancient history, where I suspect most of the gems world be.

Pat Gunning