From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
Sat Aug 2 11:31:27 2008
In his piece on Martin Feldstein on July 27, 2008, David Warsh makes a
strong case for the work of the NBER being of central importance to the
development of economics in North America, and around the world, in the past
25 years. Yet I am not aware of any HET work, besides that of Warsh's, on
this major development, archival, oral history, tracking of NBER papers and
conferences, etc. My sense is that most historians are uncomfortable with
the kind of empirical work that totally dominates current economics
curricula, and research, but I am still puzzled at the lack of attention
even to the issue in the various HE journals and conferences, and Ph.D
curricula in those few places that have programs in HET. Why might the
inattention to modern economics be so systematic?

 (See Warsh's July 27 piece linked through
http://www.economicprincipals.com/)

E. Roy Weintraub