From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 09:57:46 -0600
Folks;

A fairly generic query:  when we speak of "Southern studies" -- or possibly
even the so-called "New Southern studies"--

What recent books/authors leap to anyone's mind?

I am just curious to know what folks on here consider the leading figures or
works in this field, and especially if one were to get up to speed on
influential work of the past decade or so.

(I thought BLACK LIFE ON THE MISSISSIPPI was quite good and would recommend
it to anyone else interested in such things.  I have also been reading a
brand new collection of essays called THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT IN AMERICAN
MEMORY from Georgia Press, and a massive new collection of speeches and
sermons called RHETORIC, RELIGION, AND THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT from
Baylor.  Both are excellent.)

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Associate Professor
Dept. of English, Saint Louis University
St. Louis, MO  63108
314-977-3616 (w); 314-771-6795 (h)
<www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/ENG/faculty/hbush.html>

Quote of the moment:

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself out of much life. Aim above
morality. Be not simply good; be good for something."

        --Henry David Thoreau