Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:39 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
================== HES POSTING =======================

Call for Papers
for the 1999 History and Theory Theme Issue
The Return of Science: Evolutionary Ideas and History

>From roughly the mid-nineteenth to the mid-twentieth century, triumphs of
the natural sciences often inspired philosophers of history to adopt
naturalistic concepts and paradigms. Variations on Darwinian themes had an
especially great impact. However, shortly after the middle of the twentieth
century the natural sciences lost influence, whether as models for
historians or as the bases for philosophies of history. Recently, however,
the atmosphere has palpably changed. Many scholars have begun to use
analogues of evolutionary ideas such as the notion of "cultural selection"
in history. Refurbished evolutionary concepts are now challenging some of
the orthodoxies hostile to the natural sciences that emerged after the
successful assault on positivism in the discipline of history and in other
social sciences.

We propose a theme issue of History and Theory that would encourage
scholars from a wide variety of disciplines to put evolutionary theory in
history to the question. It behooves practicing historians to ask if
notions of cultural ecologies and cultural selection merit serious
consideration. Especially controversial are the sociobiological arguments
that link the structure of social organization or ethics to evolutionary
and biological mechanisms. To what extent are historical cultures and forms
of social organization products of evolutionary forces? Questions also run
in the opposite direction. How much do current cultural and social trends
affect evolutionary thinking? Does the revival of evolutionary thought
reflect anxiety about the crossing of racial, gender, and other social and
cultural boundaries? To what extent is it stimulated by a desire to promote
the idea of a common human origin? Is heightened awareness of evolution
connected to public interest in genetic engineering, DNA testing, the
genome project, and anxiety about epidemics?

We also want to examine how historians have used evolutionary concepts with
interesting consequences. Finally, and crucially, we seek new applications
or reflections on the application of evolutionary concepts in historical
case studies, and to explore the prospects for evolutionary ideas among
practicing historians.

All submissions should conform to the History and Theory style sheet
(available on request or on our website:
www.wesleyan.edu/histjrnl/hthome.htm) and be no more than 9,000 words. They
should be sent to:

Julia Perkins
Administrative Editor
History and Theory
Wesleyan Station
Middletown, CT 06459-0507  U.S.A.

The deadline for submissions is January 15, 1999.

Julia Perkins
Administrative Editor
History and Theory
Wesleyan Station