From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
======================= HES POSTING =================

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:39:34 -0500 (EST) andrew kliman
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The discussion of "the neoclassical position" concerning
self-interest raises
> what is, for me at least, an interesting problem:  What makes a position
> (theory, model, etc.) neoclassical?

This is a question about the use of a word. Such questions don't
have to have a clear answer. For example, give me a simple definition of
'Pacific rim cooking' or 'liberalism'.

It is rare for economists to define themselves as 'neoclassical' - mostly
they just think they are doing economics. The term is most often used by
Marxists, post-Keynesians, etc. as a term of abuse. When used in this
way it is not often defined clearly. The implicit definition is often
absurd - something like 'the belief that perfect competition,
full information, general equilibrium models describe reality and that
outcomes are always Pareto optimal provided governments do nothing',
a belief that no-one has ever held. This usage can be ignored by serious
people.

I prefer to say 'mainstream', because that implies something vague and
changing. There is no doubt that the majority of economists share a
toolkit and a set of ways of tackling problems, but they use them
in varied ways, which change over time. The reality is vague and
changing.

'Neoclassical' might be a useful term among historians of economics
(though I think it may be irredeemably contaminated with irrelevant
overtones) but its meaning must be explained when it is used, since it
(clearly) doesn't have a single agreed meaning. How it functions in any
particular historical interpretation is likely to depend heavily
on the overall framework of analysis used. Best to avoid the word.
Tony Brewer ([log in to unmask])
University of Bristol, Department of Economics
8 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TN, England
Phone (+44/0)117 928 8428
Fax (+44/0)117 928 8577