From:
[log in to unmask] (Steven Horwitz)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ===================

Jonathon Mote wrote:

> Some didn't
>play along and are now teaching at smaller schools and colleges (not a bad
>thing in my estimation, but many would consider that not "on the fast
>track.").  In my case, I chose to quit the discipline of economics and
>pursue sociology (where I can actually look at real economies, as opposed
>to modeled ones).
>
>This makes me think about Klamer and Colander's book.  It would be
>interesting to see a followup which tracks the career paths of those
>surveyed for the book.  I bet we would see patterns similar to my
>anectdotal observations.

For what it's worth, Klamer and Colander make a couple of off the cuff
remarks about George Mason University being one place where some diversity
of approach was tolerated, if not encouraged.  Having been a grad student
there at the time that Colander and Klamer visited and interviewed us, I
can
tell you that I have indeed followed the small college path and am happily
employed and tenured at St. Lawrence University.

I think this is not a bad path for those who don't wish to "play the game."
I get opportunities to both teach economics and interact with colleagues in
related disciplines.  I have published enough to be treated with some
respect, and at least a little bit of the material rewards that go with it.
But most important - I have near total freedom (even before tenure) to
pursue the kind of economics that I think is best.  That freedom is
invaluable, and important for my mental health!  I don't think St. Lawrence
is unique in this regard and I too would be interested to see whether
others
who were uncomfortable with "the game" in grad school have chosen the small
college/liberal arts path.

Steven Horwitz
Department of Economics
St. Lawrence University