From:
[log in to unmask] (Kirsten Madden)
Date:
====================== HES POSTING ====================

[Given the general interest in this topic, responses can be posted to HES,
or to Kirsten Madden personally. -- RBE]

I have been lurking on this list for the past 10 months, and have finally
found an excuse to introduce myself.  I completed my Ph.D. in the history
of economic thought at UNC-Chapel Hill a year and a half ago and am
starting my second year as assistant professor at Millersville University
in Pennsylvania.  My dissertation concerned methodology in the history of
econometrics.

I am currently consolidating a list of references regarding the treatment
of women in the history of economic thought.  I am primarily interested in
views concerning the role of women held by major contributors to economic
thought.  This list includes J.S. Mill's piece, "The Subjection of Women,"
Veblen on "The Barbarian Status of Women," and more recently, Galbraith's
work on "The Higher Economic Purpose of Women."

I have two questions for the HES list subscribers.  (1) Are there any
recommended additions to the list?  I am interested in all views on the
role of women in an economy, not only those with an equal rights
perspective. (2) Is anyone aware of recent work in the history of economic
thought which documents the treatment of women in the economics
literature?  The history of thought work may review published literature
on the role of women such as those pieces listed above, or it may concern
implicit attitudes held by economic thinkers toward the role of women in
an economy.  I will be teaching a course on women in development in a year
and thought Id start with a review of attitudes during the earlier stages
of western economic development.  Depending on what's been written on
attitudes toward the role of women in the history of economic thought, I
may also write a paper on the topic.

Kirsten Madden
Economics,  Millersville University