From:
[log in to unmask] (Humberto Barreto)
Date:
Mon Oct 8 10:01:37 2007
[Message posted by Humberto Barreto for Richard McKenzie.]

John Maurice Clark is widely quoted as saying (or having written),
"An irrational passion for dispassionate rationality will take the
joy out of life."  The quote is often abbreviated, with the "will
take the joy out of life" being left off and with the first part said
to define an economist.

I've spent a good deal of time trying to track down the source, going
through pages of Internet hits, but I've never seen the source
given.  Would someone on this list give me the source or, perhaps,
some direction on my search.  I'm trying to track down the source
because I am working on a book on the evolution of rationality in
economics, with some attention to how modern neuroscience/biology can
speak to the limits of rationality.

Thanks in advance.

Richard McKenzie