From:
[log in to unmask] (Mason Gaffney)
Date:
Fri May 2 09:25:50 2008
Peter Stillman writes that

"in the agricultural societies of old
(including of 620 AD in Arabia), the produce of the land was a
surrogate (and easily measurable) indicator of income, and that now,
in non-agricultural societies, we use income because produce of the
land is meaningless (or zero) for the many non-agricultural types."

He issues the last line ex cathedra. It is, I believe, seriously wrong and
misleading. I have heavy documentation on hand, and will supply it to anyone
who asks.

Mason Gaffney