From:
[log in to unmask] (Bateman, Bradley)
Date:
[I'm resending a corrected version of Bradley Bateman's message because
one of the links did not work due to the " " text peppered throughout
the message. In case you wonder about the competence of your moderator,
the interface I'm using is not always WYSIWYG. Thus, I would argue that
I'm not clearly incompetent and more evidence is needed. :-) HB]

Just for the sake of historical accuracy, it should be noted that the
famous "sifting and winnowing" phrase to which Barkley refers was not
written by Richard T. Ely. The phrase appeared at the end of the report
written by the special committee of the state board of education that
heard the case against Ely in 1894.

There is a nice picture of the plaque that contains the phrase at:

http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/SiftAndWinnow.htm

For many years, it was not clear who had written the phrase. In the
1940's, shortly before his death, several people wrote to Ely to ask who
the author was and he reported that it was Charles K. Adams, who had been
the president of the University of Wisconsin at the time. A photograph of
Ely's letter identifying the author can be viewed at:

http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/WIReader/Images/WER1035-3.html

Bradley Bateman