From:
[log in to unmask] (Mohammad Gani)
Date:

   A history is different from a genealogical dictionary.-E. Roy Weintraub

   It seems to me that history is like literacy.  They both have superficial,
   seemingly concrete versions that read like a check list and deeper, more
   sophisticated definitions that are what we are really chasing. -Humberto
   Barreto
   ==

   I would wish that some enterprise in deep history would embark on exploring
   the evolution of the concept, to support  Humberto's chase for the deeper,
   more sophisticated definitions.

   First, equilibrium as a technical mathematical concept may be far narrower
   than the intention to convey a sense of causality. In a causal exploration,
   the historian would like to contrast the mechanistic perspective with the
   teleological one, and show how the tension between these two approaches
   affected the concept.

   Secondly, following Roy, I would much rather wish to know what the author
   managed to convey by using the term equilibrium as a tool. Why would we want
   to spend much energy just to conduct a genealogical check while we could
   enrich our understanding if we were to relate the concept of equilibrium
   with stability for example. Admittedly, the word did already exist in the
   dictionary. Its use becomes interesting once we are told what meanings it
   was deployed to carry, and with what success.

   Thirdly, I would love to see someone clarifying the mechanistic conception
   of equality of opposing forces with the teleological conception of agreement
   between two people who pursue opposite goals.  The emphasis on the term
   agreement might reveal the presence of institutional rules that define an
   otherwise missing context in which the term equilibrium is used commonly.
   This  is  a  broader  and deeper issue than the mere usage of the term
   equilibrium. It involves using the term equilibrium within a well-specified
   concept of causal framework further extended by concepts that establish the
   economists worldview with clear links to the institutional setting. The
   institutional setting itself clarifies how the market fits into the overall
   social situation via-a-vis the state and  element of culture.

   My third point is probably obscure. The intention is to recognize that
   voluntary exchange is an institutional alternative to plunder, and that the
   institution must exist to ensure that the buyer pays the seller according to
   well understood rules of exchange. These rules are enforceable by society
   which wants to prevent plunder and mandate payment. To connect the notion of
   equilibrium (as agreement) to the institutional basis of market agreement
   would  vastly improve our understanding and bring the kind of economic
   literacy Humberto mentioned in his message. To go beyond a dictionary, we
   need to build our worldview in which the term has to represent a certain
   clear piece of the economic universe. In that universe, the individual is
   connected to others in the market's catallaxy.

   Such a deep history would help us understand the various streams of thought
   with a more profound immersion. But who is to take the dive?

   Mohammad Gani