Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:19:50 -0500
8bit
From:
Alex Brink Effgen <[log in to unmask]>
Happy (almost) New Year to everyone:

In the 16 June 1926 New York Times, page 25, the obituary of Franklin
G. Whitmore reads:

"...Mr. Whitmore, who was 79 years old...had probably the most complete
collection of data regarding Mark Twain, whose associate as well as
secretary he was."

I came across this trying to find out more about the Lincoln Trust that
might've held Twain's Claimant recordings, mentioned by Whitmore
(sidenote: my email on this (below) may not be the entire story. Turns
out there were two different Lincoln Trusts of almost contemporaneous
existence in Manhattan at the turn of the last century, and am still
looking to find anything on a possible Hartford branch for either).

ANYWAY, my new questions is: where might Whitmore's "collection of
data" might be kept? I've seen some letters at the MTP, but is this all
in existence?

Searching for Twain's lost voice,

Indiana Effgen