From:
Hüseyin Özel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 08:16:44 -0500
Thank you all for the insigtful answers. It is my
understanding that, as Pat emphasizes, Friedman's
restatement is not about "theory or set of
theorems about how individuals would act under
certain conditions"; it is rather an empirical
matter to talk about constancy or stability of
velocity. I was really confused about the
stability notion; is it about stability of the
money demand function, or stability of the
velocity itself? And, of course, does the
stability of velocity imply stability of the
function as well? I am indebted to Doug in this
regard, for both his remarks about the connection
between velocity, money demand and permanent
income and his emphasis on the oral tradition, which makes sense to me.

But still, with respect to practical matters, I
still believe that when it comes to monetary
policy velocity can be thought as constant, as
John argues. I am also struggling with the issue
that Duncan raises: everything seems to depend on
the definition of money (or "near-money). From
this, can we derive any implication about the
recent financial developments and crisis? What
happened to the velocity in recent years? In this
regard I am also grateful to Mason for the
insight "New media of exchange, indeed, could be
viewed as increasing the velocity of the older media."

Thank you all again,

Best,

Hüseyin Özel