From:
Avner Offer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2015 17:15:07 +0000
We know exactly what Smith thought about Universities (and other schools) of his time. It is laid out at length in Book V, Ch. II, 2nd Article of *The Wealth of Nations*. He was highly critical, and thought that University teachers should be paid directly by the students. Of my own university, Oxford, where he had spent several years, he wrote, 'the greater part of the public professors have, for themse many years, given up altogether even the pretence of teaching.' With the current preference for research over teaching, we seem to be moving again in that direction...

Avner Offer

 From Avner Offer, Chichele Professor Emeritus of Economic History, University of Oxford
     All Souls College, High St., Oxford OX1 4AL, tel. +44 (0)7551960880
    email: [log in to unmask]
    personal website:
    http://sites.google.com/site/avoffer/avneroffer
Recently published: Burn Mark: A Photographic Memoir of the Six Day War. See www.avneroffer.net