From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 2009 16:18:37 -0400
Peter, I suppose that it does expand the scope of the invisible hand
beyond what many are used to. But, although the Ricardian law of
association came later, I believe that Smith had a rough
understanding of how individuals gain from the expansion of the realm
of the division of labor and specialization. As I recall, a
particularly important point made by Smith is that progress is due
more to nurture than to nature, or something to that effect.

Ricardian Law:
http://mises.org/humanaction/chap8sec4.asp

The question, I guess, is whether he had this in mind when he wrote
of the businessperson's allocation of "capital." Or, would it be more
accurate to say that Smith wrote about so many things that making a
connection between the two ideas (invisible hand and growth through
the division of labor and specialization) is unwarranted. I can't
answer this question. But it seems to me that if we are today writing
about the legacy of the classical economists, the connection (for the
classical economists as a group) is indeed reasonable. At the same
time, we must attribute those same economists with the use of the now
discredited labor theory of value.

Mohammad, as usual, there is much to ponder in your lengthy post. If
I understand you correctly, you implicitly assume that I was
providing a prescription for a society's well being or, at least, for
an economy that benefits "the people." My aim was not so broad.  I
agree with some of your points and disagree with others regarding the
implications of what the various authors you mention maintained.
I  agree that the concept of the entrepreneur and credit are crucial
in determining how and whether "the people" benefit from market
interaction. These concepts were invented and applied mostly during
what one might accurately describe as the early neoclassical period
in the history of economic thought.

I take it that you have applied your idea of "seigniorage" to the
global financial crisis. Do you have a research paper, or other
writing, on this issue? I am not familiar with the use of this term
in the context you propose.

I use the term "diversity of human capital" as the modern equivalent
to "division of labor and specialization." The expansion of these
occurs through the expansion of markets. A good source for this view
of Smith is
Young, Allyn A. (1928) "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress."
Economic Journal. 38 (152): 527-542.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geuy8jZ6pKp5YAMUNXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYTFhZjM1BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNARjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA00wMDFfODQ-/SIG=12rbej6va/EXP=1252767907/**http%3a//www.uio.no/studier/emner/sv/oekonomi/ECON4915/v05/AllynYoung.pdf

Pat Gunning