From:
Numa Guy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:59:10 -0500
Dear Mason,

Pardon me if I sound harsh but I would like to
strongly defend Dupuit's contribution on the
diminishing marginal utility. Being an
engineer-economist did not prevent him from
having pedagogical excellence. Counter to those
who are not familiar with his writings, he did
not "imprison thought in mandatory templates".
For instance, in its brilliant 1849 article, he
showed the incoherence of Say's arguments (and
Bordas' too) concerning the notion of utility. In
this article, you can find why I think he is a
"total" economist, that is, a scientist who can
elaborate formal concepts and apply them to real
economic life,and also show that common business
practices can be generalized (see his brilliant
exposure of price discrimination). In addition,
he was sometimes opposed to his peers of the
Société d'Economie Politique because he was down
to earth, counter to Molinari for instance who was imprisoned in his concepts.

I am sure you already read Dupuit's articles. But
if you doubt, I invite you to read them again so
that you can be convinced. One more friendly
advice: try to read them in original version (in French).

Best,

Guy Numa