From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:03:23 -0400
Roy Weintraub wrote:
>I'm confused. What does this have to do with the history of
>economics? Why would an historian of science care about which kind
>of reserve requirement is "best?
>
>E. Roy Weintraub

Roy, I understand your concern. But I believe you should be less
rigid. Ask yourself: why is the history of economics relevant? Many
people would answer by saying that it sheds light on the present and
helps us make judgments about future policy. To begin by stating a
policy proposal is a means of generating discussion about past
proposals of a similar nature. The Sandilands post suggests that he
was stimulated to do this. Note specifically that the Currie proposal
he discussed would separate savings from transferable deposits. This
is precisely what I recommended ought to be done. This is one answer
to your question. (Of course, I did not claim that my policy proposal is new.)

A second answer concerns the use of terms. As we are seeing from
Ahiakpor's recent post, the terms used today differ from those used
by former economists. Also Medaille's post demonstrates a certain
inability to get a message across even though one uses terms that are
familiar. In addition to that, Horowitz and I have had a lively
offlist discussion of what Mises meant by the gold standard. We have
had to look this up and recognize, in the process, that this term may
have more than one meaning.

It is necessary for historians of thought to reach agreement on the
use of terms in order to do the history of economic thought. Stating
a policy proposal is a means of sorting out the various uses of terms
which, in turn, may facilitate doing what I presume you would define
as the history of economics. The exercise I introduced can be
conceived in this light.

Finally, you may recall that in earlier discussions of the proposal,
references were made to Adam Smith. The recent messages have merely
been efforts to clarify my earlier points for Medaille.

J. Patrick Gunning