From:
David Hammes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:48:39 -0400
 > Thanks to Fred Foldvary for defining "real bills"; that is
 > helpful. However, my question was and remains, what is the real bills
 > "doctrine", as used by Currie and Sandilands, and is it a form
 > of qualitative control over banking,

Obviously, Roger S. can answer ably for himself (and probably without
contradiction by anyone living for Currie), but let me throw in my
understanding of how the drafters of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913
viewed the operational function of the real bills doctrine (the
theoretical underpinning of the FRA of 1913). In short, the answer to
the above question is "Yes" if by "qualitative control" one means
assessing the the type and quality of a commercial banks' loans as
well as their quantity (without reference to Friedman). The drafters
(here I include Henry Parker Willis) were very concerned that the
assets (loans made by member commercial banks) the Federal Reserve
District banks would lend against at discount (at their discretion)
would be limited to those loans 'backing' real, productive, mainly
industrial or wholesale/retail trading activity. However, in
practice, this list was altered (e.g. in 1923 by the Agricultural
Credit Act, 1923) to include a wider range of loans against which
FRBs could discount to try to address economic conditions (the post
WWI economic slump).

If this is viewed as qualitative control, or an attempt at same
(which I think, in the spirit of the discussions during the drafting
of the FRA of 1913, I'd argue it is) then, again, the answer is "Yes".
I'm somewhat perplexed by the reference to Friedman and leave that to others.

David Hammes