From:
Philippe Fontaine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 2009 15:47:49 -0400
Dear all,

In 2000 or 2001, I do not remember well, the title of an article in a
French history of economics journal piqued my interest. I had been
working on the topic addressed in the article for some time and I was
eager therefore to read it. As it often happens, my expectations were
somewhat disappointed. I had published an article in Economics and
Philosophy in 1997 and the French article I was now reading included
a verbatim translation of the introduction to my English article.

I remember writing to the journal and I think they even appointed two
people to deal with the problem. Nothing came out of it. I also sent
a copy of the two articles to 5 or 6 friends of mine, who all
concluded that this was a case of plagiarism.

If I remember well, the author of the French article was later
promoted to Full Professor. I did not know that writing on sympathy
could have so significant externalities.

Best wishes,

Philippe Fontaine