From:
Hüseyin Özel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:09:02 -0400
>Regarding the last line of Huseyin Ozel's post:
>"If the original author does not care about it,
>who will?"   -   Did the (original) publisher not care about it?
>
>John Hart

To my knowledge again, the publisher did not take
any action either; maybe they did not know about
it. And now the book (Turkish one) is out of
print. Seems that problem has been solved.

By the way, I guess Mason Gaffney is right when
he says: "life has its ways of exacting
sanctions"; now the poor guy is (almost)
stigmatized around the academy (he had other
troubles as well). I guess that's enough for
someone who would attempt at plagiarizing. Still,
I think this is a matter of ethics (not property
rights, etc.) Back then, the majority of the
"righteous faculty" reacted to this incident on
the basis of academic ethics, but they were not
being listened (they still are'nt).

One more thing: Mason may think that it could be
a punishment, but I sincerely hope that he will
not become a dean because unlike the U.S., deans
are all-powerful beings (next to the presidents)
in the universities in Turkey, because of the Higher Education Act of Turkey.

Best,

Hüseyin Özel