From:
Mason Gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:11:24 -0400
Samuel Bostaph has told us that Ayn Rand did not understand economics. Since
I brought up her influence on Greenspan, Bostaph is evidently faulting me,
so it is not presumptuous of me to respond.  He implies that Greenspan did
understand economics, so he couldn't have been mesmerized by Rand. I suggest
that Greenspan's role in creating the present disastrous course of our
economy proves the exact opposite. Greenspan was a leading member of the
"Wrecking Crew" that dismembered all the regulatory safeguards that preceded
his watch. This is well documented in Tom Frank's recent book of the same
name. Last fall Greenspan himself admitted he hadn't known what he was
doing, so maybe he does understand economics now after all - having educated
himself at our expense.

Now Prof Bostaph turns around and considers Rand important enough to bring
up her alleged influence on Hillary Clinton, which he does not support or
document and which I doubt, and which doesn't seem to bear on anything being
discussed here.

Mason Gaffney