From:
Anthony Waterman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:44:28 -0400
Unless one lived in London in the 18th and early 19th CC one had
little, if any, opportunity to hear the work of the European masters:
except only chamber music, and even then only in a few places --
chiefly cathedral cities -- where there was a critical mass of
competent musicians. Though the infant Mozart visited London and was
well received by Christian Bach (the leading European musician in
England at that time) I should be very surprised if his later
compositions were much performed or even known outside London until
long after his death. To be sure, everyone had heard of  'Mr
Handel'.  The nobility knew his operas, and many had heard of Messiah
and some of his other oratarios. But here too, there were few other
places in the UK other than Dublin where they were performed.
Correspondence in the archives of Sidney Sussex College between John
Hey (c.1760) and his sister tell of a rare, once-in-a-lifetime trip
to Bedford (I think) to hear Messiah. Haydn's concerts in London in
the 1790s were a resounding success, but I don't think he went
anywhere else except to Oxford, where he got an honorary degree.

As for Adam Smith, he preferred to live in Edinburgh, a musical
desert because of the absence at that time of an Anglican cathedral.
He probably did hear the work of contemporary French composers with
his friends Quesnay & Co. in Paris. But we can guess his opinion of
such un-Presbyterian flummery from the contemptuous treatment of all
artistic folk in his account of 'unproductive labour': where they are
unfavourably contrasted with churchmen, statesmen -- and
'philosophers' like himself. I believe that the first economist we
know of who was said to like music was (rather surprisingly) James Mill.

Anthony Waterman