From:
Maurice Lagueux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:13:54 -0400
In debates about plagiarism, we tend to consider mostly the moral and
legal dimension of what is involved. It is true that there is
something to be condemned on ethical grounds and something that may
be a real nuisance for the person whose text was transcribed without
references, but whether we agree or not on this point, we should more
seriously consider also the poor and pitiful intellectual dimension
of such an act. In fact, authors of plagiarism are frequently unaware
of the reprehensible character of their action; for many, writing
consists in nothing more than putting together (without references)
sentences taken here and there. One of my students once borrowed from
me a text that I had recently written and, in a dissertation that I
had to mark, she (for sure, many male did the same) freely used
without any references many sentences of the document that I had lent
her. Obviously, the marking was "failure", but soon after she called
the director of department to complain about this marking, arguing,
that after all, writing consists in reusing previously written texts
in the way she did, and arguing much more sensibly that if she had in
mind to be dishonest, she would surely not have used a text written
by the person who had to mark her dissertation!

In any case, from our own academic point of view, such an
intellectual unawareness of the problem raised by plagiarism is still
more serious than the moral problem, because our role as higher
education professors is not to produce honest people (we can only
hope for such a happy result), it is to produce intellectually well
articulated fellows. But nothing is more frustrating than a
meaningless intellectual activity, and indulging in plagiarism is
downgrading what is nonetheless presented as an intellectual
activity. If the sources of such "writers" were quoted, readers could
check the original and engage in fruitful discussions; but when
facing a more or less naive rewriting of other people's sentences
recopied without references, readers are just losing precious time.
Academic writing is too important an activity to have people
downgrade it in this way. Scholars should not tolerate such a way of
"working" by their students if their aim is to help them to become
productive intellectual workers. And if plagiarists are colleagues
publishing in journals, there is still less reason to tolerate what
would be a sad symptom of a serious credibility problem in the academic world.

Maurice Lagueux