From:
Mason Gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 13:29:20 -0400
I think Warren's point is that the apparent spontaneity of traffic is
heavily constrained by the planned (or accidental) layout of streets, so you
are not disagreeing over substance, just perhaps choice of words. Going
beyond that, of course, there are enormous biases involved in choice of
vehicles, like GM's interfering with mass transit, land speculators and
trucking lobbies dominating highway departments, permissive attitudes toward
air pollution, etc.

As to skating rinks, last time I went (years ago) traffic moved
counterclockwise by ancient convention, thus minimizing collisions. Lacking
state control, surfers mark off their turf, applying social pressure and
physical threats; city street gangs control curb parking on their turf; etc.
The "spontaneous" order involves a good deal of force.

Mason Gaffney