From:
Sumitra Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 20:14:59 -0400
  Aladar Madarasz asks:  Would somebody give me the precise source of
this statement of Prof.
Cochrane, please? I intend to amuse my students.

Here is a link that opens on the page with Cochrane's write-up. It is
also posted on some blogs, including Brad DeLong's.

http://www.economist.com/debate/days/view/283

And in response to David Hammes:

"Does anyone else share my sense of rather delightful irony when
reading Cochrane's statement? It could have easily been written or
spoken by Keynes. It rather piquantly sums up his approach to
economic problems and economics, that is, if Skidelsky's biography an
be believed."

Perhaps you have this in mind. Cochrane himself makes a point of
quoting Keynes in concluding his commentary:

John Cochrane:  Here is some Keynesian wisdom I think we should accept.

"The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping the old
ones, which ramify, for those brought up as most of us have been,
into every corner of our minds."

"How can I accept the doctrine, which sets up as its bible, above and
beyond criticism, an obsolete textbook which I know not only to be
scientifically erroneous but without interest or application to the
modern world?"

"Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any
intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist."

And the last quote has been bandied about by many
non/anti-Keynesians, like for example, Mankiew.

I was dismayed by the open disdain for HET Cochrane expresses in the
part I posted earlier. He and Luigi Zingales (another Chicago
economist and the opponent who won the debate) are staunch free
marketers and they confidently equate economic theorizing with that
in natural sciences in the examples they use. I am curious to know
what exactly is Milton Friedman to the Chicago school at present.

Sumitra Shah