From:
Larry Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 10:45:35 -0500
Hal---

Thanks for the link to this.  My 2 cents: there are a number of
crosscurrents at work in this essay.  However, Chace seems to fuse the
pressure of economics and his own dissatisfaction with how literary
study is currently practiced as inextricable factors in the decline of
the humanities.  His implied deduction is that if we just went back to
good old close reading, then everything would be fine.  I don't think
he's right in drawing this conclusion.

Rather, I would argue that only one of those factors is the real
driver for the phenomenon he's observed.  We can come up with a clear
picture if we, as Deep Throat instructed, follow the money.  The
correlation between the increase in public university enrollment and
the increase in business majors, on the one hand, and the decline of
the humanities, on the other hand, is driven by economics--not the
academic discipline but real money pressure.  Public schools have
grown because privates are priced far beyond the opportunity of many
to pay the freight.  And even private education is through the roof.

Chace's statistic about what his Berkeley education cost ($700/year in
today's dollars) shapes his interpretation. It was far higher when I
was a student there in the 1980s.  However, students today have an
entirely different economy within which they make decisions.  The UC
Berkeley student education budget (from their website http://students.berkeley.edu/finaid/undergraduates/cost.htm)
  is around $28K for residents and $51K for non-residents--that's not
chump change.   So faced with these economic realities, students make
decisions about their educational choices not strictly in intellectual
terms as they did in the days of yore.

The lure of big money also has had an impact on disciplines other than
the humanities.  This is anecdotal not statistical, but when I was at
Berkeley, a number of bright students were being lured from the
Astrophysics program to the Business school.  It seems that their
mathematical acumen with something called derivates was being touted
as the ticket to riches.  One of these guys is a big shot with
Goldmann Sachs today.  As he explained his decision to me back then,
he could spend his career in astrophysics writing grant proposals that
may or may not get funded or he could get rich on his mathematical
talent.  And the mortgage-backed securities fiascos and banking
collapse of recent history followed.

Now everything that Chace said about the value of intense reading,
thinking, and writing that the study of literature entails is on the
mark.  We need to do a better job of pointing out that this kind of
training is not only intellectually satisfying but also valued in a
wide number of fields that offer lucrative careers (ones that make the
cost of their education a reasonable investment).   We can't do that,
however, by putting Joyce and Woolf on a pedestal; rather we must meet
students in the culture they inhabit.  That culture doesn't exclude
Joyce (by the way, is there a way to teach Ulysses without thinking
about sexuality and identity politics?) but it includes a lot more.
On our campus we've begun holding an English dept. career event each
year--not one with employers throwing offers at them, but rather with
a panel of people who earned English degrees and can tell compelling
stories about how their educational choices benefited them in a wide
array of career fields.  This squares with our departmental rhetoric:
students who are successful in their lives  think creatively about how
their talents and skills can be applied to interesting careers.  So
while an accounting major may be recruited by one of the big number
crunching firms,  humanities majors have to be more resourceful.
While this may seem to stack the deck against those in the humanities,
they're up to the challenge.

Finally, in order to make this appropriate to the Mark Twain Forum,
Twain's work engages with the areas of cultural studies that Chace
criticizes.  Is it an accident that Mark Twain studies have flourished
as concerns with race, class, gender, nationalism, economics, and
politics have been embraced literary critics?

--Larry Howe