From:
John Médaille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:51:59 -0400
Gavin Kennedy wrote:
>Anthony Waterman could avoid “guessing” in
>respect of Adam Smith’s views about music and
>his alleged views of it as “un-Presbyterian
>flummery”, by consulting what Adam Smith actually wrote about music.
>
>Smith wrote on the appreciation of music (he
>mentions “Handel”) in his essay: “Of the Nature
>of the Imitation which takes place in what are
>called the Imitative Arts”, published
>posthumously (on his instructions) in 1795 by
>his friends and literary executors Joseph Black and James Hutton.

In the Wealth of Nations, he seems somewhat
dismissive of the work of the musician.

"The labour of some of the most respectable
orders in the society is, like that of menial
servants, unproductive of any value, and does not
fix or realize itself in any permanent subject;
or vendible commodity, which endures after that
labour is past, and for which an equal quantity
of labour could afterwards be procured. The
sovereign, for example, with all the officers
both of justice and war who serve under him, the
whole army and navy, are unproductive labourers.
They are the servants of the public, and are
maintained by a part of the annual produce of the
industry of other people. Their service, how
honourable, how useful,
<http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smWN8.html#d46>*46
or how necessary soever, produces nothing for
which an equal quantity of service can afterwards
be procured. The protection, security, and
defence of the commonwealth, the effect of their
labour this year will not purchase its
protection, security, and defence for the year to
come. In the same class must be ranked, some both
of the gravest and most important, and some of
the most frivolous professions: churchmen,
lawyers, physicians, men of letters of all kinds;
players, buffoons, musicians, opera-singers,
opera-dancers, &c. The labour of the meanest of
these has a certain value, regulated by the very
same principles which regulate that of every
other sort of labour; and that of the n oblest
and most useful, 50 produces nothing which could
afterwards purchase or procure an equal quantity
of labour. Like the declamation of the actor, the
harangue of the orator, or the tune of the
musician, the work of all of them perishes in the
very instant of its production." (II.3.2)

"In ancient Rome the exercises of the Campus
Martius answered the purpose as those of the
Gymnazium in ancient Greece,
<http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smWN20.html#j122>*122
and they seem to have answered it equally well.
But among the Romans there was nothing which
corresponded to the musical education of the
Greeks. The morals of the Romans, however, both
in private and public life, seem to have been not
only equal, but, upon the whole, a good deal
superior to those of the Greeks.... Music and
dancing are the great amusements of almost all
barbarous nations, and the great accomplishments
which are supposed to fit any man for
entertaining his society. It is so at this day
among the negroes on the coast of Africa. It was
so among the ancient Celtes, among the ancient
Scandinavians, and, as we may learn from Homer,
among the ancient Greeks in the times preceding the Trojan war." (V.1.168)

But then, Smith seems to have had doubts about
the value of entertainments in general:

"The expence, besides, that is laid out in
durable commodities gives maintenance, commonly,
to a greater number of people than that which is
employed in the most profuse hospitality. Of two
or three hundredweight of provisions, which may
sometimes be served up at a great festival, one
half, perhaps, is thrown to the dunghill, and
there is always a great deal wasted and abused.
But if the expence of this entertainment had been
employed in setting to work masons, carpenters,
upholsterers, mechanics, &c.,
<http://www.econlib.org/library/Smith/smWN8.html#d62>*62
a quantity of provisions, of equal value, would
have been distributed among a still greater
number of people who would have bought them in
pennyworths and pound weights, and not have lost
or thrown away a single ounce of them. In the one
way, besides, this expence maintains productive,
in the other unproductive hands. In the one way,
therefore, it increases, in the other, it does
not increase, the exchangeable value of the
annual produce of the land and labour of the country." (II.3.41)

He may have been a deist in his mind, but he was
a Calvinist in his bones, and a Scots Calvinist at that.

John C. Médaille