From:
John Médaille <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:57:52 -0500
One has to have great respect for Humberto's
rather thankless task (or at least, I have never
thanked him) of keeping the discussion within the
bounds of "history," when in fact such
discussions must drift off course to the pure
ideas represented by the history. Perhaps he will
not notice that I am sneaking in some purely
evaluative comments under the cover of an
historical discussion. But I think Marie and
Evert have touched upon an historical reality
which is often ignored. Much of the "growth" of
the last 40 years has not been real growth at
all, but merely the monetizing of work which was
formerly performed in the family economy. When
mama cooked you a good meal, it did not show up
in the GDP numbers; but when she took the family
out to MacDonald's, it was recorded as "growth"
in the economy. No new services were performed,
only now they were measured and recognized. This
largely happened for what was called "women's
work," although it happens for jobs that were
usually (but not always) "masculine," mowing the
lawn, fixing the drain, etc. These tasks moved
from the use-economy to the exchange-economy, and
only one of these economies is regarded as
"economic," even though the whole point of the
exchange economy is the use economy.

The problem is that there is not enough money on
the planet to monetize the work that women do.
The Dutch in trying to monetize it destroy it.
Now it becomes a monetary decision that may be
performed by Grandma (compensated by the State) or by an outside baby-sitter.

I think it is somewhat strange to be having this
conversation, since the whole point of an economy
is to support the material needs of the human
person, and that person always has its origins in
the family. Let us say (if we must) that the
family is the production process of the human
person, and like any economic process it has its
own set of costs and its own standards of
efficiency. We can "produce" better or worse
humans over a range of different cost
allocations, public and private. Children are,
for the most part, consumers of goods, and it is
a mistake to make them producers too early or in
the wrong way. While this may have some short
term benefits, it results in a large inventory of
unfinished or partially finished goods, goods
which then impose their own costs on society, in
the form of increased crime, low productivity,
social unrest, high welfare costs, etc.

Children are, economically, the next round of
producers and consumers, and certainly these are
public goods, or at least goods without which
there is no public that can continue in being. Of
course, one can regard children as a purely
private utility, to fulfill some biological need,
as a display of one's wealth, etc. While none of
these explanations are completely wrong, none of
them are particularly right, and all of them are incomplete.

John Médaille