From:
Humberto Barreto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:20:17 -0400
MacKenzie writes that "My own read on Georgism is that Posner dealt
the last fatal blow in his 'Takings' book, and this chapter of history
should end there." Please cite chapter and verse so we may find this "last
fatal blow". Better yet, quote it here, or epitomize it for us, to spare us
a trip to the library.

It is not clear to whom or what you are responding. I urged others to read
Foldvary's accurate forecasts. Foldvary is as much and perhaps more an
Austrian than a Georgist, but all these labels and classifications and
stereotypes of individuals are misleading and lazy. Foldvary is Foldvary.

It is wrong, IMHO, to dismiss accurate forecasters by calling them stopped
clocks. It's not as though Foldvary forecasted the crash every year. He
specified 2008, both times. To dismiss a true prophet is close to accepting
the false prophets who were on top of the control system - and still are,
alas, both in D.C. and in academe. Academics have a reputation and a history
of lagging reality, as they did from 1929-36, at least. Now is a good time
to redeem ourselves by becoming headlights, rather than tailpipes.

MacKenzie's main point seems to be that he "knows about" Georgism, and it is
"wrong" - period. That tells us nothing substantive. Something specific
would be helpful.

Mason Gaffney