Sender:
From:
Eric Schliesser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:07:26 +0100
inline
Just a small footnote to Roy's remark. (I, too, second the
significance of Roger Backhouse's work!) However, the idea that
mathematics is a language goes back to Galileo who famously wrote in
The Assayer:
"[natural philosophy] is written in that great book which ever lies
before our eyes ? I mean the universe ? but we cannot understand it if
we do not first learn the language and grasp the symbols, in which it
is written. This book is written in the mathematical language, and the
symbols are triangles, circles and other geometrical figures, without
whose help it is impossible to comprehend a single word of it; without
which one wanders in vain through a dark labyrinth." This version cut
and paste from:
  http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei#Quotes

Eric Schliesser
BOF Research Professor, Philosophy and Moral Sciences, Ghent
University, Blandijnberg 2, Ghent, B-9000, Belgium. Phone:
(31)-(0)6-15005958