Sender:
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:38:01 -0400
7bit
From:
Daniel Klein <[log in to unmask]>
You know Smith's TMS thought experiment "Were it possible that a human
creature could grow up to manhood in some solitary place, without any
communication with his own species, he could  ..." (110, see also 192).

In something I read I saw the author use an expression to criticize the
thought experiment, a Latin expression, as I recall, that I believe
meant that the posited thing is impossible.

I've been scouring electronic texts, searching on "grow up to manhood",
etc., and I've read up on latin terms for philosophy, etc., but I can't
come up with it.

Does anyone know the Latin term I mean, or the source that applies it to
Smith's thought experiment?

Thanks,

/Dan Klein