From:
"Medema, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:30:35 -0500
I cannot resist calling to the attention of the
list the importance of Mason Gaffney in the Coase
theorem literature­in this case, the journals,
not the textbooks. The December 1966 AEA meetings
included a paper presentation by Allan Schmid on
water resources. Mason was one of the discussants
in this session. Another of the discussants,
Robert Haveman referred in his comments to “the
Coase theorem.” When these discussant comments
were published in the AER Proceedings issue in
1967, we had the first use of the term “Coase
theorem” in the journal literature. Thus, while
Mason and I may have different views of the
import of the Coase theorem in the history of
economic ideas, he can at least say that he was
there when history was being made. I, on the
other hand, was still wearing diapers.

Steve Medema