From:
Arthur Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:47:42 +0100
You might want to refer to Henry Dunning Macleod's 1856 Theory and
Practice of Banking for an early example of a worked-out creditary
theory of money.

In the 1866 edition, for example, he says:

p. 204
2. In the first chapter we obtained the great fundamental
conception, which is the basis of monetary science, that money
is the representative of debt, or services due; that, where there
is no debt, there can be no money.

P. 206
9. We must observe that up till about 1772, all banking
liabilities were created by means of notes : and to create and
issue notes was the legal and well understood description of
" Banking." We cannot say when the Bank adopted the custom
and practice of creating liabilities' by means of " deposits."
However, whenever this was done it was clear that these
deposits were equally liabilities with its notes. And its total
liabilities were its notes and its deposits.

Arthur Edwards